Wednesday, December 3, 2008

How to aim good.

I often get the question on how did I get so good at aiming, so I thought I should give you guys some insight into how I do my aiming and which I have taught a lot of the top players on how to do.

First thing that comes to my mind is your posture, when I try to aim for a shot i like to have my face very close to the screen, and I know a lot of other good aimers do this aswell. If you just lay back in your chair and shoot you might miss out on angles since your point of view will most likely not be coming from behind the cue.

The biggest challenge in aiming consistantly for newbies are the diagonal shots and those that are not shot at a straight alignment with your eye-sight. The reason the shots from the center are so easy to do is just because your eyes are right behind the cue at all times. So, the trick is to change your point of view when you shoot from outside in, and diagonal, so that your eyes are right behind the cue so you can see exactly where the cue is pointing.

The board is a 3-dimensional depiction, not a 2-dimensional so that means you can't aim good without changing your point of view on every shot!

Another big thing when I do my aiming is that I don't, and I really want to emphasize this, just pull back and shoot. I have my eyes on the target and I have chosen a target before i let the cue go. I do believe most of you who have trouble with consistant aiming just let go of the cue without giving it a clear thought on where you want to hit the chip you're trying to get in.

If you know where you want to hit the chip you'll most likely not lose focus and miss.

When you have overcome this "pull back and shoot"-syndrome you can begin trying more advanced shooting in which might need some planning.

What is really important here is yo train your mind into envisioning the directions your chips will take, if you fail then try again but try to remember what went wrong so that you try to make up for that the next time.

If you want me to clarify something on this article, don't hesitate to ask.

I thought I'd end this article with an example video, it's an old one but it has some good shots in it to clarify some of the things mentioned above.

Hektor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude that was awesome... can't believe you pulled some of those shots off.